Friday, July 25, 2008

Not quite sure what's up

I spoke to Dr. Z on Thursday because I've been having awkward feelings at the top of my throat. Sometimes it's nothing, others it's tough to swallow.

Dr. Z said it sounds like there's a stricture -- or narrowing -- in the upper esophagus. Of course, there is no lower esophagus so where else could it be.

Once he mentioned that I realized that while in Florida Hospital after the surgery I remember the doctors mentioning a stricture. This was when I was in radiology swallowing a nasty-flavored drink laced with radioactive iodine so they could watch me swallow the liquid to ensure I could be released and able to eat.

So he wants me to call Dr. Styne's office on Friday. He said Doc Styne will probably want to do another endoscopy and dilate this stricture.

I also have an appointment with Dr. Z set up for August 22 at 10:30 a.m. That will be my eight-month post-surgery visit.

I don't think there's anything cancerous about my current problem but it still remains disconcerting. Dr. Z said he understands my concerns and thinks it's a good idea to check it out. And anyone reading this site knows that whatever Dr. Z says is golden in my book. Basically, the man's amazing.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments: