Wednesday, August 19, 2009

And the results ... really aren't in

I really hate waiting -- especially for something as important as test results.

What's even worse is waiting after you receive test results. But that's what I have to do. The question now is how long of a wait?

Here's why:

Dr. Lee Zehngebot, the most excellent oncologist and iPhone user I can think of, said this evening after I waded through 35 minutes of phone-hold hell that my PET scan Tuesday found a "very small" anomaly in my chest. So small that doctors don't quite know what to make of it.

Dr. Z said he'd probably just have me wait three months and do another series of CT and PET scans. But he's consulting with other docs to see whether a biopsy would be worthwhile. I'll find out that answer on Monday.

The small mass may or may not be the 2 cm by 3 cm blob a CT scan picked up last week. I'm going to call Dr. Z on Thursday with a few questions I've come up with.

The mass picked up by the PET scan is located in the carina, which is the bronchial windpipe where the bronchi split into the two lobes of the lungs at the base of the trachea. (See diagram, courtesy of Wikipedia.)

"We don't know what it is," Dr. Z said.

Thus, my results that really aren't results.
So the waiting continues. Ugh!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AAAAH! We do know what that is like. It can be torture! Good luck with everything. P.S. Found your blog on the Being Cancer Website. My husband is also dealing with esophageal cancer, only basaloid squamous cell type.

Keith W. Kohn said...

Hi Mandy,

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's cancer. I hope the blog helps a little. It's a different cancer, at a different location, but a lot of the crap he'll have to go through is similar. Please feel free to email me any time if there's anything I can do by way of answering questions or offering advice.

Best of luck,
Keith

MedTrakker said...

Personally I know that a Cancer diagnosis demands so much from us; emotionally, physically and mentally. My heart felt sympathy goes out to anyone who is battling Cancer of any type.

In 2006, my Mother was diagnosed with Leukemia at the age of 79. My Mother lost her battle 8 months later.
I created the MedTrakker... founded and inspired out of deep sorrow and personal experience.

MedTrakker is a Cancer Medical Organizer created to assist patients in tracking and organizing every aspect of there treatment care journey.
The MedTrakker was created to save patients and care givers the anxiety of "Starting from Scratch".

The Organizer allows the patient to record Important Contacts, Health and Treatment History, All of your appointments with a 1 year Calendar, Chart your daily or weekly Blood Counts. Side Effect Management, Insurance Discussions and more.
The Organizer also provides Nutritional Support, Physical Support and Motivational Support. Each section of the MedTrakker is designed to fit the needs of every Cancer patient and their Care Givers. Patients will interact with many health care providers aiding them in there treatment care. MedTrakker is a valuable resource tool in an easy-to-use format. Please visit us online http://www.MedTrakker.com
We donate 10% of our proceeds to LACO; a non-profit organization that helps families touched by cancer. http://laughatcancer.org

Blessing to all who are battling any type of Cancer!