Wednesday, December 19, 2007

What a frustrating day

I held off writing anything so I wouldn't say anything bad about anything. You remember the line from Bambi, right? Something like: "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothin' at all." So I didn't.

Was up early, as usual. About 9ish I had a "light breakfast" as instructed by Dr. Grobler's office staff -- a bagel with cream cheese and some fruit cocktail, plus a cup of tea. Visited Dr. Z for my 11 a.m. appointment, which went very well. He said the lymph node was not one typically affected by this type of cancer, so it's very likely lighting up in the PET scan because of damage caused by radiation. My blood work looked so good that Dr. Z said I no longer must get tested weekly. Gotta like it.

Then Catherine and I went to Florida Hospital's cafeteria and she had lunch. I didn't because it was coming close to my procedure. A little before 1 we went to check in at the outpatient center. That went extra smooth, and quickly.

I know, right now you're asking, what the hell was frustrating about anything mentioned above. The answer is nothing. Nothing yet.

After we checked in, we headed to the endoscopy area across the little walkway bridge in the main hospital. We were there about 20 minutes early, and the nurses said that the timing was perfect. I weighed in. Signed in.

"Eat anything after midnight?"
"Yes, a 'light breakfast' -- bagel, cream cheese, fruit cup, tea."
"What? When was this?"
"About 9, 9:30."
"I don't know if the doctor's going to like this."
"The doctor's office told me to have a 'light breakfast.' "

You get the picture.

Point is, the doctor, the anaesthesiologist and most others involved in the procedure didn't like it. And I didn't feel like having a bronchoscopy without anaesthesia, so we didn't do the procedure.
Now it'll be Thursday or Friday, I guess.

Ah, good times.

1 comment:

Lilly said...

Yeeeah, my mom and I learned that pretty quickly.

For procedures like that, especially because of the anesthesia, no food and I think no drinks after midnight. They don't much like that, we found out. We also had someone tell us she could have a light breakfast and then we had to reschedule, just like you.

Apparently 'light breakfast' means different things depending on who hears it. The patient understands it to mean what you assumed, but the doctor actually means that you're just supposed to imagine the breakfast, not actually eat it *lol*.

No worries, hon. You'll get through the procedure in no time. I know it's frustrating, though.