Monday, October 29, 2007

Getting my chemo right now


It is about 3 p.m. and Kim and I have been at one doctor's office or another since about 8:30 a.m.

I've had my radiation, a visit with Dr. Diamond's physician assistant, gave blood to the vampires at Dr. Z's office, got the results (wow, they're good!) and now am being infused with a couple of cocktails of chemo before I'm reconnected to my chemo pump. I think there's one more chemo punch to go before the pump is hooked back in. I'm even blogging as this is going on (and Kim shot a picture of me typing this very blog item, which is above).

I'm not feeling sick at all, but that might be because the first medication they dripped into me was the anti-nausea medicine. I'm grateful for that. Actually had a decent lunch of chicken noodle soup and a grilled cheese sandwich, plus some sweet potato fries that Kim and I shared. Mmm mmm good.

As I noted earlier, my white blood count was really good. It went from 4 last week to more than 6 today. I'm no doc but I think maybe it was because I was feeling ill earlier, the result of Catherine's bronchitis or pneumonia or whatever it was. In either event several key numbers were up and others were down. But overall, Dr. Z said he's pleased -- and somewhat surprised -- that my numbers are holding up so well. I just hope this bodes well for my efforts to eradicate the cancer in my body. I know it will!

No comments: